Monday, July 13, 2015

Bacon, Lettuce and Fried Green Tomato Sandwiches. Because of Course.

Today I'm sharing a very simple recipe for what has quickly become my favorite summertime meal: Bacon, lettuce and fried green tomato sandwiches.



Did I just blow your mind? Because apparently I blew the mind of the girl at the farmer's market who sold me my green tomatoes (after a gang of rogue chickens attacked my garden and ate the SIX perfectly ripe ones I had planned for this meal. They are dead to me now.) when I told her what I was making. 

She actually gasped, "Oh my word!" and then stared wistfully off into space for the remainder of our encounter, a little bead of drool trickling down her chin. And that's a perfectly natural reaction.

Seriously. They're THAT good.



I'm assuming you know how to make a basic BLT, so I'm just sharing a simple recipe we use for fried green tomatoes. BUT, this comes with the stipulation that these taste best made with good crusty bread, thick cut bacon and fresh vegetables. Bonus points if you can grow them yourself (without any vindictive chickens interfering).

Also, you're going to want to fry the bacon rather than microwave or bake it. If you're going to eat fried green tomatoes, you might as well eat them fried in bacon grease, amiright?



(Disclaimer: Justin made these while I flounced around taking pictures and sipping wine, so I can't take any credit for the work or the absolutely delicious product.)

Ingredients:

  • 3 or 4 large green tomatoes
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup cornmeal
  • 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • vegetable oil for frying
Step 1: Slice the tomatoes. Ours are pretty thick (about 3/4 inch), but you may like them a little thinner. Usually the thinner you cut them, the crispier they'll be.

Step 2: Mix the eggs and milk together in a large, shallow bowl, spread the flour out on a plate, and combine the cornmeal, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper on another plate. Line them all up assembly line style starting with the flour, then the egg mixture, and finally the cornmeal mixture. Then go down the line dipping and coating your tomato slices in each one. Make sure they are completely coated on all sides.

Step 3: Use the same pan you used to fry the bacon (including the grease) and pour in enough vegetable oil so that there is about 1/2 inch of oil/bacon grease combo in the pan. Heat the pan to medium and, when the grease is nice and hot, add the tomatoes and cook until golden brown (about two minutes). You may need to do this in batches; you don't want them touching while they fry. Flip 'em over and fry the other side. Set them on a paper towel to drain. 

Assemble the sandwiches however you like them. I prefer mine with three pieces of thick cut bacon, fresh butter lettuce or spring greens, and a VERY healthy smear of mayonnaise (on both sides...). 



Unfortunately, these don't keep very well, so you'll need to eat any and all leftovers standing over the kitchen sink when no one is looking and you're supposed to be doing dishes. It's part of the recipe. You have to. 


That's it! Give 'em a try and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment