Monday, January 19, 2015

Easy Personalized DIY Dining Room Art

Welcome back! I hope you're enjoying your three day weekend.

We took the opportunity for a little extra time at home and finished up a project I've been wanting to tackle for some time now.


I bought these vintage bakery cake boards from a local antique shops several months ago, and they've been collecting dust in my basement ever since. I always intended to display them somehow in my dining room, and this weekend, I finally got around to doing something with them.

My mom has a collection of old recipes from both sides of my family. I thought they'd make the perfect art to display on the cake boards.


I originally went to FedEx/Kinkos to have them enlarged, but to have five recipes reprinted in color it was going to cost me $180 (black and white would cost $107)! Can you believe that?!

I also checked out Shutterfly, which I love and use frequently, but they would cost me $90. That's pretty reasonable for what I was looking for, but I still couldn't bring myself to do it.

Instead, I packed up the Bug, drove over to my parents' house, and bribed my dad with some Buggy/Grumpa time to let me use his professional grade laser printer. Sucker!

I just scanned them and cleaned them up a bit on Picmonkey.com, which is my absolute favorite picture editing website. And the best part? It's free! (Although they do have some pretty awesome extras if you have a subscription).

They aren't as big as the ones from FedEx or Shutterfly would have been, but I actually think I like them better this way. You can see more of the cake boards, which are really beautiful in person.



I ended up spending $18 on 11x17 cardstock, plus about $12 extra for the chains to hang them, which I picked up in the jewelry section of Michael's. I actually have two more left to do, but Michael's only had three chains, so I'll have to wait till they get more in stock. Lame.

Justin screwed the chains onto the back of the cake boards and hung them using some extra eyelet hooks we had lying around.


Ta-da! I love they way they turned out! They're very simple, which I love, and will work well with any seasonal decor I use in that room.

Plus, they're a wonderful way to display family heirlooms like this one for the Easter egg shaped sugar (or suger, as it is written) molds my great-grandmother used to make.



Or this recipe for my Grandma Popeye's (obviously not her real name. No one's parents are that cruel) sugar cookies. The original has a drawing my mom did when she was a child on the reverse side. So stinking cute!


There you go! Simple, personal diy dining room art that doesn't cost a fortune. This could be done just as easily on vintage cutting boards, or even pallet wood.


Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment